Saint Luke's Manor
Saint Luke’s Hospital is a National Historic Register building located in the Buckeye-Shaker Heights area of Cleveland. Built in 1927 and shuttered in 1999, it was purchased by Neighborhood Progress in 2006 with the intent of conversion to residential units. WRT worked with Pennrose Properties, Neighborhood Progress, the Ohio Housing Finance Agency, and the Ohio State Historic Preservation Office to design a mixed-use building with 137 affordable senior apartment units, office space for non-profit and service organizations, and the historic rehabilitation of an existing 400-seat auditorium for community use.
Once a symbol of urban blight, a renovated Saint Luke’s is the centerpiece of a community revitalization effort in the Buckeye-Shaker neighborhood. The adaptive reuse of the 300,000+ SF building gave it new purpose with only very minimal changes to the original structure. The building is designed to achieve a minimum LEED Silver certification.
Reader's Choice Award
Nation's Best Affordable Housing Developments, Historic Rehab Category
Affordable Housing Finance Magazine
National Trust/Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary's Award for Excellence
National Trust for Historic Preservation